RE: Include Problem

---8<--- snip

> [...]
> > users screw up the front end, and he is thinking of using C,  Perl
or
> > Python), which is why I am hoping that I can produce one single
> script,
> > and have it execute some script without the user pushing any button.
> > don't think I plan on "scraping" websites. However, if you are
> > suggesting that it is easier to do in Ajax to do what I am intending
> > do here, I would love to check it out and forget about PHP
(hopefully
> > not).
> >
> >        Most of the documentation I have been seeing on exec() seems
> > be executing UNIX commands at
> > http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.exec.php. One main issue,
which
> > am not sure if it is entirely relevant, is that I am using PHP on
> > Windows with my current script, (the one to execute things from),
> while
> > the script that would be executed is located on a Linux machine.
> Would
> > this be an issue when I am doing this with what I am trying to do
> here?
>
> Alice,
>
> exec() will execute Windows commands, as well. However, I'm not sure I
> understand the reason for separating your script into two files--the
> remote and the local scripts.
>
>    To answer your question, I am separating these because the script
> that will be placed on the remoate server is filled with dense
> calculation operations, and putting these on the same server as the
one
> I am writing and running from the local machine would possibly take up
> too much resources of the local server, and thus this only interacts
> with the local server I am working with and not with the client
> machine.
>
> I will assume you are gathering data in your script (local), shipping
> this off to a script on the client's machine (remote), and passing a
> program (C/Python/Whatever) values you gathered using your script
> (local).
>
> ---
>
>      That would be correect, although I am not passing this to a
client
> as I mentioned previously, and therefore everything would be ideally
> executed directly without any person to invoke the script.
>
> Under this assumption, I would gather the data via
> form/extraction/upload/whatever, and use cURL (a PHP library) to
> "visit"
> the remote script, passing values either via GET or POST. The remote
> script would then parse these values and send them to the appropriate
> exec() command.
>
>        That sounds like something I have to do, but the question is,
if
> I don't have anyone pushing any button to invoke the script, how would
> it execute without using GET or POST before it uses exec()?
>
> Hope this makes a little more sense now.

Alice,

I'm not sure I follow you. Are you speaking of the local script or the
remote script as far as automation? The local script is executed when a
user requests it. The remote script will be executed when your local
script uses cURL to "visit" it. No users pressing buttons involved to my
knowledge.

Unless... is it a form? I'm a bit lost now. I'm not "Midwestern tourist
in Malaysia" lost, but I'm definitely a bit confused.

Todd Boyd
Web Programmer