Re: peer review (was php framework vs just php?)

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 2:59 AM, Jason Norwood-Young <
jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 17:32 -0500, Jay Blanchard wrote:
> > [snip]
> > I can't say I've ever had a form that exactly matched a database table
> > for a user perspective. From an admin perspective that changes, but that
> > was when I downloaded PHPMyAdmin for the client. It was amazing, every
> > form matched the database table and you could view all the rows too, and
> > even create your own queries.
> >
> > Table discovery is something I use for marshalling data back and forth
> > from database tables, but not usually for presenting a user form.
> > [/snip]
> >
> > That is why there is code to exclude columns from the form and
> > essentially the group of functions pretty much does what phpmyadmin
> > does. Handling multiple tables in one form of course is a different
> > story.
> >

> Actually it's quite easy. I've got a similar object to the one you guys
> described (can't really share it - I'm on salary so technically it
> belongs to my boss.) Anyhow when I do my table layout, if there's a
> look-up, I name the field "lookuptable_id" in the DB. In my object, it
> looks for any field ending in "_id" (or whatever you specify to the
> object - "_id" is just the default) and it creates a drop-down of the
> options.
>
> The object also takes an array of ignore_fields, hidden_fields (good for
> ID's on updates), friendlynames (you don't always want to use the
> fieldname in the database, but anyhow the object replaces underscores
> and capitalises), and a bunch of other customising array properties with
> useful defaults. It also detects whether this is an insert or update and
> knows how to route the action, and has support for file uploads (and
> customises the enctype of the form for that).
>
> So basically you can have a very nice form, customised, with one or two
> lines of code to draw the form, as long as you design your object and DB
> well.

im just curious, has anyone here heard of like, templates ??  personally, i
really dont like mashing a ton of different layers all into a single piece
of code, hit the database, do some logic, render the page....
those things are supposed to be separate ;)  code igniter might not be the
best framework in the world, but at least its got the basics covered.  if
you build a few of the obvious views, select w/ variable number of options,
inputs, tables...  well it works out quite nicely and the code is all
separated, as it should be.

-nathan