Re: Class Static variables in double quoted string or heredoc

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 11:29 -0600, Nathan Nobbe wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:

> robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> > > really
> $a::$someStatic
> > > come

> about
> > > incapable
> stuff
> t-shirt.

> > > No, it's too, hmmm... what's the word... REDUNDANT!
> > >
> > > :)
> > >

> > actually, its a little cleaner if you ask me.  infact i think being able
> > delimit strings in either single or double quotes was a precursor to
> this.
> > example: java; if i want to have double quotes in a string i *have* to
> > escape them w/in the string \".  in php or javascript; i simply delimit
> the
> > string w/ single quotes.  this feature is simply an evolution of that
> > concept, IMHO.
>
> Oh, I greatly see the utility in having support for both single and
> double quoted strings. I just don't see the utility in supporting
> "everything under the sun" expansion within double quotes.

i hear you there; and i actually wasnt arguing for support of a wider range
of tokens to be supported within double quotes.  all i was saying is that if
php had a feature that was in the 'pre-release' of 5.2.4 and will be in 5.3
anyway there is a workaround that gets you the ability with the current
double string variable / function call resolving support.

> > besides i didnt create the double quoted support and thats not even what
> > im
> > > arguing about anyway.  the syntax ive mentioned was there in a
> pre-5.2.4
> > > release (discovered it didnt actually make the cut for the 5.2.4)  it
> save
> > > you from having to write ugly little helper methods and thats a benefit
> > > wouldnt mind having.
> >
> > There's a reason they call it "pre-release". It means it's not
> > > "final" ;)
> > >

> > what the world needs is a term for the 'pre-release' being cooler than
> the
> > release ;)
> >
> > > php has a great dilema, it wants to cater to a wide range of users;
> from
> > > newbs to experts.  thats a massive undertaking and well if youre gonna
> do
> > > it, you may as well go whole-hog IMHO.
> >
> > I don't see how the throwing everything and the kitchen sink into double
> > > quotes support caters to either of these groups. It strikes me, and of
> > > course that's who matters here >:),
> >
> > i matter more !:D
> >
> > > that it caters to the messy, "I wish
> > > I REALLY knew what I was doing", slovenly crowd.
> >
> > if you dont know about the concatenation operator my thought is you wont
> be
> > going far w/ php or any other language for that matter :)
> >
> > Just because a feature exists, doesn't mean you should use it!
> > >

> > here we are back at the classic syntactic sugar argument.  at least weve
> > moved past abstract classes and interfaces !
> >
> > good times :D
>
> Funny you should mention that, I was going to add a reference to
> interfaces and abstract classes when I mentioned that ;)

and im sure that in the infamous words of tony marston, we would inevitably
'agree to disagree' :)

-nathan