Re: need "pop-up" in progress alert

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Steve Holmes <sholmes42@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm pretty far along in this project and the
> idea is that the software install happens on demand. What we are trying to
> do is get the student/faculty population (tens of thousands of users) to
> keep their blog/bb/etc. software up to date by giving them a point and click
> method of updating them (wordpress, phpBB, drupal, etc). We can't *force*
> them to update, that's against policy, but they keep getting hacked and
> don't know/care enough to bother doing the update.

The way the cron job would work is that the user requests an install.
This would write out a queue file or flag in a database marking a
specific user wants to do x upgrades.

Then the cron job, which runs every minute or so, will constantly
check for users whom have requested upgrades and proceed from there.
This way your front end script can poll against the queue/db to see
when the upgrade is finished.

Whatever gets the job done correctly is what is important, not really
the way you "skin the cat."  I just know I've had to stop relying on
some of my front end scripts from doing heavy lifting as they flake
out sometimes for any of a million reasons.