Re: need "pop-up" in progress alert

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Eric Butera <eric.butera@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Steve Holmes <sholmes42@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Greetings, I'm relatively new to PHP and I've been lurking for a while
> on
> >  the list, but now I need a pointer or two.
> >  I have an application which has one function that does a lengthy
> process
> >  (installing a piece of software) and I don't want the user to panic
> thinking
> >  nothing is going on. So I want to put up a 'working' box or a progress
> bar.
> >  I have no idea how to do that. I haven't dipped my toes into pear yet.
> >  don't even know how to install or use a pear module. If there is
> something
> >  available that doesn't require pear knowledge so much the better, I
> guess,
> >  but if this is the straw that gets me into pear, so be it.
> >  So if someone could point me in the right direction I'd really
> appreciate
> >  it.
> >
> >  Thanks,
> >  Steve Holmes
> >  Purdue University
> >

> It might be a better idea to have this installation happen via some
> other means such as a cron job that isn't influenced by the browser.
> Then just keep refreshing the page or doing an ajax poll until the job
> has returned success.  Internet connections get dropped, people hit
> refresh, or whatever and that shouldn't break what is going on (in an
> ideal world ;)).

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm pretty far along in this project and the
idea is that the software install happens on demand. What we are trying to
do is get the student/faculty population (tens of thousands of users) to
keep their blog/bb/etc. software up to date by giving them a point and click
method of updating them (wordpress, phpBB, drupal, etc). We can't *force*
them to update, that's against policy, but they keep getting hacked and
don't know/care enough to bother doing the update.

> If you can't figure that out at least put in an ignore_user_abort to
> prevent the user from hitting stop and messing up the installation
> process.  Just make sure to create some way of knowing that an
> installation has been started and check a session value/flat file to
> see if the installation is still going in case the user does request
> the page again.  Once everything is done make sure your script unsets
> the session variable/flat file to know you can proceed to the next
> step.

Great suggestion. I will have to do this at a minimum.

> Good luck!

Thanks.Steve.