need "pop-up" in progress alert

Greetings, I'm relatively new to PHP and I've been lurking for a while on
the list, but now I need a pointer or two.
I have an application which has one function that does a lengthy process
(installing a piece of software) and I don't want the user to panic thinking
nothing is going on. So I want to put up a 'working' box or a progress bar.
I have no idea how to do that. I haven't dipped my toes into pear yet. I
don't even know how to install or use a pear module. If there is something
available that doesn't require pear knowledge so much the better, I guess,
but if this is the straw that gets me into pear, so be it.
So if someone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate
it.

Thanks,
Steve Holmes
Purdue University