Re: 2 Questions: Static variables and the nature of the online manual

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Svevo Romano <svevo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Still, I jusy wonder how Jochem knew that the line is only executed the
> first time a function is called while this info is not available on the
> online manual. It's maybe all about how close you are to the community and
> how many degrees are between yourself and the source?

    Check the section "Using static variables" in the Variable Scope entry here:
        http://us.php.net/manual/en/language.variables.scope.php

>  I mean, I understand the manual is maintained by the community, but I
> suppose the language is developed by a small core of programmers that
> participate to the general discussion to some extent...

    Actually, a good portion of us who maintain the manual maintain
the code, as well.  Everything about the language, from the core
engine to web scripting support, is handled entirely by the community.
 That's the beauty of open source.

>  I'm just trying to figure out the shape of the landscape. I tend to start
> from the bigger picture before getting into details. :)

    And welcome to the community, Svevo!

--
</Dan>

Daniel P. Brown
Senior Unix Geek
<? while(1) { $me = $mind--; sleep(86400); } ?>