Re: Pear

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 7:57 PM, <movies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > when you run you phpinfo script that you mentioned
> > in your first post, do you see pear in one of the sections there (not
> just
> > in the include path)?
>
> A search on "pear" only yields this line:
> include_path    .:/usr/local/php4/share/pear
>  .:/usr/local/php4/share/pear
>
> Here is the page, so you can check it out if you want:
>
> http://everoriginal.onlinewebshop.net/phpInfo.php

yikes, php4 !?  if they dont host php5 that could be reason enough to
switch, *ducks*.  also, it looks like they have exec() disabled, but not
shell_exec(), so you could probly use that to run the find command from
earlier if you wanted to.

> > also, as i said pear is a modular system, so even
> > if
> > pear is installed, the DB package may not be installed.
>
> Is there something I could "include" from pear that would have an
> extremely high possibility of being installed?

im not sure, but i dont think so.  you may be able to use php functions to
search the directory structure beneath the include path youve already
posted, however, this is just a lame solution that wont really accomplish
much.

> yes, you will have to use putty to connect to the host and issue unix
> > commands if you want to get to the bottom of this
>
> Probably a good idea anyway, eh? I'll work on it...

ftp only access drive me nuts ;)

> ..."SSH Manager section is not available for your hosting plan!"
>
> I get free hosting at this place. I'd like to test it out before I buy,
> but maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet.

ouch :D

as Rick said in a later post the pear libraries are just php files.  but
installing them into your webroot manually has a couple of caveats,

   1. pain in the ass compared to using pear cli program
   2. you expose these library files to the public unless you add a
   .htaccess file to the server to protect them

but you would have the benefit of controlling the version of these libraries
you were using.  also, in that case youll want to override the include_path
setting using a .htaccess file so that if there are any pear packages
installed by the hosting company, youre scripts will use the ones in the
pear installation directory you create.

-nathan