Re: Pear

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 6:24 PM, <movies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for your help, Nathan!
>
> > maybe try
> >
> > find /usr/local/php4/share/pear -name 'DB.php'
>
> I tried putting that in my script, and got:
>
> Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING in
> /home/www/everoriginal.onlinewebshop.net/connect04.php on line 6
>
> I'm thinking "find" is a Linux or Unix command to run on my host's
> machine. I'm hoping that I can get this solved without getting Putty set
> up, but am willing to make the effort if necessary.

yes, find is a *nix command.  it will recursively search the filesystem from
the specified point for the pattern (in this case 'Db.php').

> Doesn't this error:
>
> Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'DB.php'
> (include_path='.:/usr/local/php4/share/pear') in
> /home/www/everoriginal.onlinewebshop.net/connect04.php on line 4
>
> show that Pear is there, and where to find it?

it does indicate that there is an include path w/ pear as one of the
directories, which strongly suggests that pear is installed, but it does not
absolutely garuntee it.  when you run you phpinfo script that you mentioned
in your first post, do you see pear in one of the sections there (not just
in the include path)?  also, as i said pear is a modular system, so even if
pear is installed, the DB package may not be installed.

> > if you type
> >
> > pear info DB
> >
> > and nothing comes up, then likely you need to install it with
> >
> > pear install DB
>
> Likewise, that is from the Linux or Unix command line, right? If Pear is
> not installed, wouldn't the host have to do that? Or is that something
> customers can do when they have a host?

yes, you will have to use putty to connect to the host and issue unix
commands if you want to get to the bottom of this w/o emails or a phone call
to your host.  the find command is a crude way to determine if the pear DB
package is installed.  you are likely better off to use the pear cli program
to determine if its installed as in above.

-nathan