Re: Re: Sometimes I wonder why I even started programming...

2008. 02. 29, péntek keltezéssel 10.17-kor Colin Guthrie ezt írta:
> Zoltán Németh wrote:
> > I strongly recommend git. it has several great advantages above cvs or
> > svn. for example, it does not store whole copies of the whole tree if
> > you make a branch, but stores only the differences. it is much faster,
> > and losing a commit is really hard even if you screw things up seriously
> > (I know I've done that a couple of times when I was new to git, but I
> > could manage to restore everything)
>
> Yeah git is definitely good, I don't deny that, but your comment about
> storing whole copies when you make a branch does not hold true for SVN,
> at least not with that statement... If you make a branch in SVN it is
> free. If you make changes on the branch then commit it and subsequently
> merge that branch back to the trunk/master/whatever *then* SVN will
> store your changes twice, whereas git is cleverererer.

yeah, sure, I wasn't exact.

> I think both have their advantages. For me, until Git integration into
> Trac it's a non-starter as I use Trac heavily to track tickets/bugs,
> time and view the repo etc.

trac integration would be cool, maybe it will happen one day

> The other thing about git particularly for web projects that store
> multiple revisions of binary data (images etc.) is that the git-clone
> could end up taking up much more space than the SVN equiv. Due to the
> fact that a git clone is essentially a full copy of the whole
> repository, rather than just a "checkout" (SVN checkouts store twice as
> much as the raw data but that's a constant).
>
> I love both systems but for me, I find that web projects with graphics
> that have high churn are more suited to SVN but pure code projects
> (which can include web projects) where branching is done often then git
> wins hands down for features.

yes, it might be true. for us, we have a very large codebase with
minimal amount of binary data, and several branches, so we definitely go
for git

greets,
Zoltán Németh