Re: Sometimes I wonder why I even started programming...

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 19:37 +0000, Stut wrote:
> On 28 Feb 2008, at 19:17, Wolf wrote:
> > Jason Pruim wrote:
> >> My editor automatically replaces like 4 spaces with a tab... Is
> >> there a reason not to use tabs instead of spaces? :)
> >
> > I use spaces since when I indent with 4 spaces it is significantly
> > easier to read the code then with 4 tabs...
> >
> >    4 spaces are before this
> > 				4 tabs are before this
> >
> > Pretty easy to follow code that does
> > {
> > {
> >  {
> >   {
> >   }
> >  }
> > }
> > }
> >
> > Versus the alternative, especially with the character wrapping in vi
> > and other text editors.
> >
> > At least, that's IMO
> >
> > YMMV
>
> Except that if I inherit your code and I find it easier if it's
> indented to 8 spaces you've taken that choice away from me. Tabs are
> configurable on nearly all editors that exist in the world. If yours
> doesn't let you change the tab width, get a new one. But if you don't
> care about people who might end up working on your stuff, keep using
> spaces. Just hope you never change your mind.

It's almost a standard across the industry to use spaces. But hey, if
you wanna take away my choice to use spaces whenever I work on your code
down the very long line, that's fine. I'm just gonna use my JOE editor
to fix them and purify any mixed tab/space indentation. If your editor
can't do that then you should get a better editor ;)

Cheers,
Rob.