Re: Sessions

VamVan wrote:
Hello People,

I wanted to have your assistance in deciding few things here,
basically I want to auto populate a registration form for people
visiting second time or so on.

I have already started a session,I know that session is a cookie so is
it better to rely upon the session cookie for auto populating or
create another cookie on client side.

If i am not mistaken ini_set('session.gc_maxlifetime', 3600);
increases the time session cookie expiration time to 1 hr  right.

Please give me ur suggestions on this. if some one has a working code
can you please share?

Thanks,

In the example you provide it would be best to use a regular cookie. Sessions are destroyed and garbage collected quite regularly, so you can only count on the data being available while they are using your application (during their session). With cookies you can specify an expires date so that the information will be available tomorrow, next week, etc.

You *could* increase the session cookie lifetime, but I wouldn't count on the data being available through a session, especially if they close their browser.

--
Ray Hauge
www.primateapplications.com