Sessions

Hello People,

I wanted to have your assistance in deciding few things here,
basically I want to auto populate a registration form for people
visiting second time or so on.

I have already started a session,I know that session is a cookie so is
it better to rely upon the session cookie for auto populating or
create another cookie on client side.

If i am not mistaken ini_set('session.gc_maxlifetime', 3600);
increases the time session cookie expiration time to 1 hr  right.

Please give me ur suggestions on this. if some one has a working code
can you please share?

Thanks,