Re: Guidance

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Stut <stuttle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Maybe it's just me but I usually end up rewriting everything I write
>  at least twice. That's just a fact of life and I've found that I end
>  up with far better code that way than I do by trying to get it right
>  first time. It also tends to be quicker.
[snip!]
>  In short, learn by doing. It's served me well.

    I made it even shorter, Stut.  ;-P

    He's exactly right, Matty.  It's a form of evolution called
"versioning".  No programmer gets everything perfect the first (or
usually even second, third, eighth) time.  Good, usable, lasting code
will be written and rewritten very often.  Look at almost any code
that's been around and distributed (including the PHP project itself)
and you'll notice that there are dozens of versions, because over the
years new ideas have come about to make it more productive, more
economical, and all-around better.

--
</Dan>

Daniel P. Brown
Senior Unix Geek
<? while(1) { $me = $mind--; sleep(86400); } ?>