Guidance

Greetings all!
I am still relatively new to any kind of web design or php programming, I'll
be completely honest. I am used to working with C, Perl, Java, and a splash
of C++. PHP and web application development are kind of a new bag for me and
I'm still trying to get my bearings. I see that designing a web application
can involve all of the following: html, javascript, php, sql, ajax, xml,
design patterns, and other things. Its kind of... information overload right
now? For what I want to do I know I'm going to need to learn all of them,
but coming up with a roadmap for "what should I learn first?" is becoming
problematic. I want to start working on projects but I'm just not sure what
order to learn things in. I don't want to come up with something that works,
and then have to re-write it all over again simply because I read a new
chapter in a new book.

I would just like some advice on what order to go about this stuff. Thanks!
-Matthew