Re: Re: memcached (was: session and Multi Server Architecture)

mike wrote:

> On 2/12/08, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Cache layers are cheap - it's a known science after all.  The key
>> thing
>> (AFAICT) about memcached is that is _distributed_.  You need this
>> when you don't have session persistency (session being the
>> client-to-server relationship).
>
> correct. local file caching, APC, etc... but that doesn't really help,
> since you'd be constantly throwing out data (acting as an LRU) and
> have one copy of the data on each server is wasteful...

Ah, but each server will only have what it needs for its clients.  So if
you've got say 2000 clients spread over 10 servers, each server will
have the data relevant for its 200 clients.  And there is no need for
network access everytime you reach for a cached object.  (only if you
don't find it in cache).

> yes the thing that makes memcached the best is the distribution. it
> also makes it not a requirement for cache persistency (if there is
> such a concept...) not -just- sessions. session persistency to me is a
> concept from the 90's...

Yeah, you mentioned that before. The computer is a concept from the
early 1940s -  but it's still holding up :-)

/Per Jessen, Zürich