Re: Session and Multi Server Architecture

Stut wrote:

>> There's no question of locking users to particular machines, nor of
>> uneven distribution.  LVS will distribute evenly or according to
>> weights.
>
> Indeed, but you must see that making the decision of which server to
> use per request will result in a more even distribution than deciding
> once per session.

You might see a somewhat uneven distribution if you only have a small
number of machines, but the resources you're saving by not having
memcached replicate objects will now be available for that slightly
less even distribution.

> Having said that I don't see a problem with depending on a particular
> piece of software as a dependency of the application. Your app already
> requires PHP, and most likely requires a bunch of extensions to be
> present so I don't see a major problem in adding memcache to that
> list, especially if it means you can use it much more efficiently by
> assuming it's available.

My personal choice would be not to have my application deal directly
with caching, but that's mostly a matter of choice.

/Per Jessen, Zürich