Re: Session and Multi Server Architecture

Stut wrote:

>> Of course, processing power, network capacity and memory are all very
>> cheap these days, so it's easy to put on the Microsoft hat and be
>> wasteful.
>
> In my mind you're exchanging traffic over a local network (probably
> 1Gbps) for a less resilient load balancing system. By locking users to
> particular machines you don't allow for the possibility that you'll
> end up with a large number of users on any given server while others
> lie idle.

There's no question of locking users to particular machines, nor of
uneven distribution.  LVS will distribute evenly or according to
weights.

> Personally I'd always opt for a solution where my hardware
> will be utilised as evenly as possible regardless of user patterns.

Certainly.

> I'll be using memcache as a simple cache. I hate sessions and avoid
> them for anything but the most trivial sites. The main sites I work
> with no longer use sessions because they add a pointless layer of
> complexity to any application that need to scale beyond a single
> machine.

Well, we have no problem using sessions on our web-cluster (with LVS
session persistency).

Do you write your apps specifically for use with memcached?  I did think
of that, but I thought people would prefer not have their apps tied
directly to memcached.  I guess it's a matter of choice.

/Per Jessen, Zürich