Re: memcached (was: session and Multi Server Architecture)

Stut wrote:

>>> Indeed, but you must see that making the decision of which server to
>>> use per request will result in a more even distribution than
>>> deciding once per session.
>>
>> You might see a somewhat uneven distribution if you only have a small
>> number of machines, but the resources you're saving by not having
>> memcached replicate objects will now be available for that slightly
>> less even distribution.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "replicate objects".

My mistake - I though I'd understood that memcached would replicate
objects across the servers, but that's clearly wrong.
If I've got it right, virtually every access to a cached object will
require network traffic?  (the exception being those cases where your
object is on your local memcached).

I've very likely overlooked something or other, but overall memcached
seems to me to be unnecessarily complicated when the same problem can
be solved with session persistency (even if you have to accept a
slightly uneven load at times).

/Per Jessen, Zürich