Re: Gzipped output

Stut wrote:

>> Make any PHP-based script available without usage-restriction, and
>> you've got yourself a DDOS potential.  Using exec() doesn't change
>> anything.
>
> I would argue that it makes it easier since creating and tearing down
> processes is a pretty expensive operation for most OS's, but like I
> said you're free to do whatever you want with your servers and
> clients.

I don't know about most OS'es, but "creating and tearing down
processes" is very cheap on Linux.  The fork() call takes very few
resources (copy-on-write etc.)
If you subsequently load another binary using execv(), it could well
turn into a "pretty expensive operation", but that's up to you.

If you're the target of a DOS attack, I would venture a guess and say
your Apache server is dead long before exec() would have a chance to
exacerbate the problem.
Regardless, the OP was after delivering large files compressed chunk by
chunk - I really do not see a security issue in using gzip for that,
but I still like Andre Robinets solution better.

/Per Jessen, Zürich