Re: Gzipped output

Per Jessen wrote:
Stut wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
Eric Butera wrote:

You should never use exec & friends when there is another way around
the problem.  It is a security concern.
Why is it a security concern to execute another bit of code?

I really fail to see any security concern in doing e.g.

exec('gzip -c /tmp/myinputfile')
Do that per request and it becomes a lot easier to DOS the server. Not
a 'security' risk so much as a stability risk, but a risk all the
same.

Make any PHP-based script available without usage-restriction, and
you've got yourself a DDOS potential.  Using exec() doesn't change
anything.

I would argue that it makes it easier since creating and tearing down processes is a pretty expensive operation for most OS's, but like I said you're free to do whatever you want with your servers and clients.

Unfortunately I skipped past the start of this thread and I can't remember what the OP was actually trying to do, but I view process creation from a web request in the same way I view eval - it's almost always the wrong way to get a job done.

-Stut

--
http://stut.net/