Re: Session and Multi Server Architecture

On 2/11/08, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Because you've chosen another option - memcached presumably - which is
> more expensive over all.  (IMHO).

mysql (stated above), and i already have a connection open each page...

> On the next request, LVS will know not to try that server, and the user
> will move to another one.  Obviously the session-context will die, but
> is that really a big deal?  How often does one of your servers die?
> Sure, if you've got 10,000 in a cluster, you'll have fans and harddisks
> pop every so often, but I have my doubts about memcached scaling to
> that level (please correct me if I'm wrong here, I have _no_ experience
> with memcached).

actually right now i have an issue on my system i'm working on
resolving - and it does create some poor experience for users. when
one of my webservers is taken out of the pool (softly due to a
healthcheck failure, not via reboot) those clients can get connection
refused, or connection reset (if mid-connection) - and if anyone is
uploading or downloading a file, they're screwed too. persistence or
not, that won't solve this, but it is my note about servers going down
and the little bit of non-transparency of the failover...

> LVS won't migrate any of your data for you.  It'll shift the client to
> an available server, that's all.

yes i know that. so you're either advocating:

a) persistence AND central session management, or
b) persistence and not keeping anything important in a session in case
the server is pulled out of the pool? (assuming non-centralized
session support)