Re: PEAR website and MSIE 6

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 19:06 +0100, Jochem Maas wrote:
> Robert Cummings schreef:
> > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 18:02 +0100, Jochem Maas wrote:

> > Would you believe me if I said I wasn't in IT? ;)  My wife isn't in IT,
> > but she uses Opera regularly, she likes it's speed and the way it zooms.
> > My 4 year old son loves Opera, but he doesn't know anything else yet :)
> > He likes it when I jump on google images and do searches for things like
> > "dinosaurs", "solar system", "trucks", etc. Then he browses through the
> > results. of course, he also only knows Linux so far. He can happily
> > navigate folders and menus. The icons help determine his interest level
> > since he can't read very well just yet.
>
> great story. :-) my 4yo mostly likes trains and stuff - but he kind of
> expects the images to browse by themselves (which they do when you slideshow them ;-).
>
> I try to steer him away from tech crap, trying to get him to grok a piano
> keyboard before a PC one. and no TV either.

Our TV is connected to a computer. It's great, while watching a movie or
whatever, we can slip over to a browser and check out something about an
actor or the show itself on IMDB, Wikipedia, Google or whatever. Also, I
ripped my kid's DVD movies to the hard drive and created a little PHP
script that cycles randomly through them over and over again using
mplayer. He knows to hit spacebar if he has to hit the bathroom and 'q'
if he doesn't want to watch one in particular and then it goes onto the
next. He messes with the keyboard lots. Sometimes he'll shout over to me
"Daddy, daddy, check this out". A few weeks back he was showing me how
he could backup the playing show using the left arrow key. I encourage
him to experiment. Nothing important to lose on that computer. On
occasion he pops something up he can't get rid of, fortunately it's just
a matter of popping up a VNC window and I can correct the problem
without having to get out of my office-- which is across the room in the
basement :)

Cheers,
Rob.