Re: first php 5 class

2008. 01. 30, szerda keltezéssel 13.33-kor Greg Donald ezt írta:
> On Jan 30, 2008 12:40 PM, Nathan Nobbe <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > just pointing out that the rails guys dont have much wiggle room.
> > surely, youre familiar w/ this post:
> > http://www.oreillynet.com/ruby/blog/2007/09/7_reasons_i_switched_back_to_p_1.html
>
> One article from one developer means what exaclty?  Perhaps he wasn't
> writing enough lines of code per day to be stay happy using Rails?
>
> > > Propel still uses XML last I messed with it.  Yaml is a lot better for
> > > similar tasks.  The syntax is a lot smaller which makes it a lot
> > > faster than XML.
> > well lets see, it only reads the xml when the code is generated, which is not
> > that often so any slowness of xml is not valid.  and last time i generated code
> > in my project it took like under 5 seconds; boy that xml sure was painful =/
>
> Well if all you do is toy projects then XML is fine.
>
> <user id="babooey" on="cpu1">
>   <firstname>Bob</firstname>
>   <lastname>Abooey</lastname>
>   <department>adv</department>
>   <cell>555-1212</cell>
>   <address password="xxxx">ahunter@xxxxxxxxxxxx</address>
>   <address password="xxxx">babooey@xxxxxxxxxxxx</address>
> </user>
>
> versus the Yaml equivalent:
>
> babooey:
>   computer: cpu1
>   firstname: Bob
>   lastname: Abooey
>   cell: 555-1212
>   addresses:
>     - address: babooey@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>       password: xxxx
>     - address: babooey@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>       password: xxxx
>

> > Perfect example of an advance in web technology.
> > perfect example of something that doesnt make much difference.
>
> The time saved writing Yaml instead of XML makes a huge difference to
> me.  Similar savings are to be had when comparing PHP to most anything
> except Java.

I never write the xml for propel. we use DBDesigner (although it is not
a well-written software, and there are problems with running it on
linux) and convert its xml files automatically to propel format. what's
more we have our schema generation stuff which joins together several
dbdesigner xmls (and generates code for some features propel does not
have like inheritance and multiple table referencing foreign keys)

however I agree in that yaml is cleaner and easier to write. but php can
use yaml if you have a yaml parser class in your framework, like symfony
has it.

greets
Zoltán Németh