Re: first php 5 class

On Jan 30, 2008 11:56 AM, Nathan Nobbe <quickshiftin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> i love how the ruby crew has 1 framework, whereas php has scads.

Ruby has 7 frameworks that I know of: Nitro, IOWA, Ramaze, Cerise,
Ruby on Rails, Merb and Camping.

http://www.nitroproject.org/
http://enigo.com/projects/iowa/
http://ramaze.net/
http://cerise.rubyforge.org/
http://www.rubyonrails.org/
http://www.merbivore.com/
http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/camping

The most popular PHP frameworks are Rails clones it seems.  Zend's
best effort at a framework is an almost direct copy of the Mojavi
framework.

Further, if the number frameworks a language has is any measure of
that's language's quality or capabilities (clue: it isn't) then why
aren't you a Java guy?  It clearly has _more_ frameworks.

>  php affords the power of choice.
> and last time i checked, php was a lot faster:
>
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=all

That benchmark doesn't include Ruby 1.9.

> also, if you want to see some code generation, php-style, check out propel

Propel still uses XML last I messed with it.  Yaml is a lot better for
similar tasks.  The syntax is a lot smaller which makes it a lot
faster than XML.  Perfect example of an advance in web technology.

--
Greg Donald
http://destiney.com/