Re: Re: Posting Summary for Week Ending 18 January,2008:php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Børge Holen wrote:
You really don't get it yet? You distributed it, I knew your email long before Dan did squat, didn't take any programming to acomplish that.

Obviously, you don't get it either. It's now common practice to remove email addresses from public forums. Instead of justifying Dan's mistake (which he has acknowledged by agreeing to remove or obfuscate email addresses in future reports), why not consider whether privacy could be improved on the PHP list?

A Google check on my email address shows that, with one exception, it has been released into the public domain solely through archives and mirrors of this list. The exception is a private group, whose administrator I have alerted to avoid the leaking of other people's addresses.

Of course, I could set up a throwaway address; and I do have a pretty effective spam trap. But I still need to check them both. It's a waste of time. Spam is an upleasant fact of life, but if you consider yourselves competent professionals, you should be doing what you can to combat it. Dan's post didn't start the leak of addresses, but it should be regarded as a wakeup call to the way this list is configured and run.

--
David Powers