Re: Re: system command runs application, but application doesn't work correctly

On Jan 18, 2008 5:49 PM, Apple7777 <applepro7777@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Daniel Brown <parasane <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > On Jan 17, 2008 6:48 PM, Apple7777 <applepro7777 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Another strange thing is I run ImageMajick with system() in a lot
> of scripts on
> > > the same server and everything works fine.
> > >
> > > What is the problem? Do you have any idea?
> >
> >     Does the UID (or at least GID) under which PHP is being executed
> > have permissions to write to the area you're trying to save the file?
> >
> >     Similar to above, does it have the correct permissions to read the
> > incoming file?
> >
> >     Have both $inputFile and $outputFile been properly defined?  Try
> > echo'ing them out just above the (commented-out) system() call line to
>
> > be sure.
> >

> Just want to add to my previous post.
>
> I wonder is it possible to run system() command, so mencoder will run as from
> root (user "500") and not PHP (user "43").
>
> Maybe that's the problem?

    500 is generally the lowest non-privileged (non-system, user) UID
used on a *nix system.  Root would be UID: 0, and PHP, Apache, and all
other services should NEVER be configured to run as root.  Why PHP is
running with a UID of 43 I'm not certain, but it sounds as though it
may be running as the Apache user (apache, httpd, nobody, www, pscln,
daemon, etc.).  In either case, I'm still a little stumped (sorry!),
but wanted to definitely state that it SHOULD NOT EVER run as root.

--
</Dan>

Daniel P. Brown
Senior Unix Geek and #1 Rated "Year's Coolest Guy" By Self Since
Nineteen-Seventy-[mumble].