Re: Re: SMTP vs mail()

Hello,

on 01/15/2008 08:54 AM Stut said the following:
>>> That would be the most brain-dead SMTP server on the planet...
>>>
>>> Are you talking Windows or something? :-)
>>
>> On the contrary, you may be surprised, but this is precisely inline with
>> Unix/Linux spirit. Small programs communicating through pipes that
>> execute individual tasks each and then exit. Unlike Windows, forking new
>> programs is not so expensive.
>>
>> Anyway, you may want to check these diagrams to learn the architecture
>> or sendmail and qmail and verify what I am saying:
>>
>> http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/sm-X/design-2005-05-05/main/node3.html#SECTION00310000000000000000
>>

>> http://www.nrg4u.com/qmail/the-big-qmail-picture-103-p1.gif
>
> I can't see anywhere in that where it says a new process is spawned for

> each message. Sendmail is a beast but it's not that bad. I'm sure you
> *could* configure it to do that, but you'd need to explicitly make that
> decision yourself.
>
> Where do you think it says that?

Check the source Luke! ;-)

Well the diagram shows that the the SMTP server calls the queue manager.
Admitedly it is not clear that it forks a new process to inject the
message in the queue, but you can analyze the source to check it out.

I have checked the sendmail SMTP server source once in the past. I
suppose it hasn't changed that much. Last time I analyzed it I could see
it reads each message from the TCP socket into a file passing it through
eventual mail filters (miltering) and in the end of each message it
forks the queue manager process to inject the message in the queue.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

PHP professionals looking for PHP jobs