Re: Re: SMTP vs mail()

Hello,

on 01/14/2008 04:15 PM Richard Lynch said the following:
>>> What about when you take into consideration this program could be
>>> sending 1000's of emails, say, 100 per SMTP connection?
>> That is even worse. Keep in mind that the SMTP server of sendmail or
>> equivalent MTA, ends up calling the sendmail program for each
>> individual
>> message that it receives.
>
> That would be the most brain-dead SMTP server on the planet...
>
> Are you talking Windows or something? :-)

On the contrary, you may be surprised, but this is precisely inline with
Unix/Linux spirit. Small programs communicating through pipes that
execute individual tasks each and then exit. Unlike Windows, forking new
programs is not so expensive.

Anyway, you may want to check these diagrams to learn the architecture
or sendmail and qmail and verify what I am saying:

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/sm-X/design-2005-05-05/main/node3.html#SECTION00310000000000000000

http://www.nrg4u.com/qmail/the-big-qmail-picture-103-p1.gif

--

Regards,