Re: Re: SMTP vs mail()

On Tue, January 15, 2008 4:54 am, Stut wrote:
> Manuel Lemos wrote:

>>> That would be the most brain-dead SMTP server on the planet...
>>>
>>> Are you talking Windows or something? :-)
>>
>> On the contrary, you may be surprised, but this is precisely inline
>> with
>> Unix/Linux spirit. Small programs communicating through pipes that
>> execute individual tasks each and then exit. Unlike Windows, forking
>> new
>> programs is not so expensive.
>>
>> Anyway, you may want to check these diagrams to learn the
>> architecture
>> or sendmail and qmail and verify what I am saying:
>>
>> http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/sm-X/design-2005-05-05/main/node3.html#SECTION00310000000000000000
>>
>> http://www.nrg4u.com/qmail/the-big-qmail-picture-103-p1.gif
>
> I can't see anywhere in that where it says a new process is spawned
> for
> each message. Sendmail is a beast but it's not that bad. I'm sure you
> *could* configure it to do that, but you'd need to explicitly make
> that
> decision yourself.
>
> Where do you think it says that?

I suspect Manuel is confusing PHP's built-in mail() function which
does spawn a new sendmail process for email function call with
sendmail itself, which does not -- at least not unless you really work
hard at it.

As to not configuring sendmail to queue/store/send-later, I guess that
might still be the default, but it's a pretty stupid setup for mass
email.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?