Re: PHP ide? OT

On Friday 09 November 2007 02:05:32 you wrote:

> > tersus

> > the

> > > Ubuntu = Debian + New Life
> >
> > you know, thats what I call BS.
> > if something fails to do anything by itself.. it should've stayed @
> > home.
> > Just look at patches and fixes. They only deliver when the debian
> > maintainers 've a fix ready, and between 2 days to a week for the
> > maintainers
> > to get it into their own pool.
> > The reason is simple... Hype! they sell a product witch claims to be
> > more or
> > less a lifestyle of simplicity like osx, however maintenance is a
> > bitch who
> > noone wants to ride, and the few who works on buntu rather sell the
> > new stuff
> > than fixing bogus, tiresome and lenghty faults on imported programs.
> > Just for
> > the sake of some rich dude that feels he need a momentum.
> > I'm really getting it out now, cleaning the pipes you can say.
>
> Lol, Debian has a release cycle of 2 to 3 years. Ubuntu has a release
> cycle of 6 months. Personally I like the fast and furious releases when
> it's for my desktop. As for server needs... Debian is a better call for
> it's stabilty. Either way you comment "It's like the ubunty hype, witch
> fails to state on the homepage: "we're practically NOTHING without
> debian" is a bit silly since Debian doesn't state "we're practically
> nothing without the Linux kernel and GNU software".

We are talking distributions here, not os. Debian supports all these
underdogs, but ubuntu is the "hyped saviour". I also fail to the whatever the
release cycle got to do with... anything? You install once, shortly
thereafter you just upgrade now and then.
You want release cycles, go for the nighly builds. Count them, don't complain
because the debian team fail to see the importance of release cycles. I can
take a woody cd install and given the speed of this 100mbit line and 1.67 ghz
ppc, I would say 30~40 minutes later I would be running sid.
Now that would be fast and furious for you eh?
I bet I actually got all the "new" packages... like ff apache any sql whatever
on my testing approximatly 1 week before you got in on ubuntu. They are
sickly dependable on all the debian devs to fix their shit and keep theyre
hype.

> But I'll give you a
> taste of what both do say:
>
>      Debian:
>     "Debian is a free operating system (OS) for your computer.
>      An operating system is the set of basic programs and
>      utilities that make your computer run. Debian uses the
>      Linux kernel (the core of an operating system), but most
>      of the basic OS tools come from the GNU project; hence
>      the name GNU/Linux."
>
>      Ubuntu:
>      "Ubuntu is a community developed, linux-based operating
>       system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and
>       servers. It contains all the applications you need - a
>       web browser, presentation, document and spreadsheet
>       software, instant messaging and much more."

Everybody loves raymond.

> Now analysis of the blurbs reveals that Debian attributes the Linux
> Kernel and GNU whereas Ubuntu attributes the community at large. Ask
> yourself which statement is more inclusive :) Community can easily be
> taken to include the kernel community, the GNU community, the Debian
> community and any other groups contributing. I'm sure this is the spirit
> in which the word "community" is used. Whereas the Debian blurb is more
> restrictive in it's interpretation. But don't get me wrong, I'm in no
> way pointing fingers at Debian, they probably have more attributions
> elsehwere as does Ubuntu. I just think it's silly to argue that Ubuntu
> owes everything to Debian when Ubuntu, Debian, GNU, the Linux Kernel,
> etc are all standing upon the shoulders of giants. And those giants are
> the community of individuals and organizations that give their time and
> resources to make it happen. There's nothing stopping Debian from
> integrating things in Ubuntu, that's the spirit of open source and
> sharing.

Why would debian intergrate things in ubuntu, they run ubuntus show right now.
Thats why all the ubuntu ppl are harrassing the debian mailinglist... oh wait,
much like this.

Time to get back to work... cheers btw =D

--
---
Børge Holen