Re: PHP ide? OT

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 01:03 +0100, Børge Holen wrote:
> > > oh no, I wasn't hinting your way, I more or less commented on
> tersus
> > > beeing eclipse. It's like the ubunty hype, witch fails to state on
> the
> > > homepage: "we're practically NOTHING without debian".
> >
> > Ubuntu = Debian + New Life
>
> you know, thats what I call BS.
> if something fails to do anything by itself.. it should've stayed @
> home.
> Just look at patches and fixes. They only deliver when the debian
> maintainers 've a fix ready, and between 2 days to a week for the
> maintainers
> to get it into their own pool.
> The reason is simple... Hype! they sell a product witch claims to be
> more or
> less a lifestyle of simplicity like osx, however maintenance is a
> bitch who
> noone wants to ride, and the few who works on buntu rather sell the
> new stuff
> than fixing bogus, tiresome and lenghty faults on imported programs.
> Just for
> the sake of some rich dude that feels he need a momentum.
> I'm really getting it out now, cleaning the pipes you can say.

Lol, Debian has a release cycle of 2 to 3 years. Ubuntu has a release
cycle of 6 months. Personally I like the fast and furious releases when
it's for my desktop. As for server needs... Debian is a better call for
it's stabilty. Either way you comment "It's like the ubunty hype, witch
fails to state on the homepage: "we're practically NOTHING without
debian" is a bit silly since Debian doesn't state "we're practically
nothing without the Linux kernel and GNU software". But I'll give you a
taste of what both do say:

     Debian:
    "Debian is a free operating system (OS) for your computer.
     An operating system is the set of basic programs and
     utilities that make your computer run. Debian uses the
     Linux kernel (the core of an operating system), but most
     of the basic OS tools come from the GNU project; hence
     the name GNU/Linux."

     Ubuntu:
     "Ubuntu is a community developed, linux-based operating
      system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and
      servers. It contains all the applications you need - a
      web browser, presentation, document and spreadsheet
      software, instant messaging and much more."

Now analysis of the blurbs reveals that Debian attributes the Linux
Kernel and GNU whereas Ubuntu attributes the community at large. Ask
yourself which statement is more inclusive :) Community can easily be
taken to include the kernel community, the GNU community, the Debian
community and any other groups contributing. I'm sure this is the spirit
in which the word "community" is used. Whereas the Debian blurb is more
restrictive in it's interpretation. But don't get me wrong, I'm in no
way pointing fingers at Debian, they probably have more attributions
elsehwere as does Ubuntu. I just think it's silly to argue that Ubuntu
owes everything to Debian when Ubuntu, Debian, GNU, the Linux Kernel,
etc are all standing upon the shoulders of giants. And those giants are
the community of individuals and organizations that give their time and
resources to make it happen. There's nothing stopping Debian from
integrating things in Ubuntu, that's the spirit of open source and
sharing.

Cheers,
Rob.
SwarmBuy.com - http://www.swarmbuy.com

    Leveraging the buying power of the masses!