Re: Generating PDF files (XSLT, ps, XSL-FO, FOP, etc)

Larry Garfield wrote:
> On Friday 05 October 2007, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Yannick Warnier wrote:
>>> but you can't generate a PDF using XML and XSLT, although XSLT is, to
>>> my understanding, made to enable export in various formats from the
>>> same XML file.
>> XSLT is a style language, and you could quite possibly make it produce a
>> PDF.
>
> Not quite.  You would use XSLT to generate XSL:FO output.  You would then use
> a tool like Apache FOP (or various others, free and not) to convert the
> XSL:FO document into a PDF.
>
> I've done this before, but it's been a while. :-)

As XSL can is just a method of transforming XML into into some kind of
output there is theoretically nothing stopping you using XSL to generate
the full PDF I reckon.

If found a really good quote the other day about XSL but I now can't
find the link and it's gone from my history but it was something like:
"You could write a <insert obscure lanaguage here> parser/lexer in XSLT
but I'm not going to." It's a very powerful language but the hardest
part most extreme advocates find is knowing when there is a better/more
practical tool for the job ;)

Col