Generating PDF files (XSLT, ps, XSL-FO, FOP, etc)

Hello,

I'm currently researching a bit on a possible PDF export format for some
of my application's output.

So far, what I get is this:
- some packages allow PDF generation (FPDF, EZPDF, etc) from nothing
- some packages allow generation of PDF from HTML, using the ps format
- some packages allow generation of PDF from XML, using XSL-FO and FOP

Somehow, I'm having difficulties understanding why you can make a PDF
out of nothing (using only a set of PHP classes) but you can't generate
a PDF using XML and XSLT, although XSLT is, to my understanding, made to
enable export in various formats from the same XML file.

It seems that in this case (exporting from XML to PDF), you need to
first convert the XML to a XSL-FO format (using XSLT) and then convert
that XSL-FO format into PDF, and the only way to do that last step at
the moment seems to be to use Apache's FOP project, which requires Java
and a server-side component that you are unlikely to be authorized to
install on a low-cost hosting server.

Does anybody have a good insight on all this and could tell me what's
wrong and why there seems to be a missing link between XML and PDF...?

Thanks in advance,

Yannick