Re: A two flavored post

At 11:18 PM -0400 10/4/07, Nathan Nobbe wrote:
On 10/4/07, tedd <<mailto:tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi gang:

I asked this question on the javascript list, but for some reason
it's taking forever to post there. So, I figured that I would ask
here as well.

I'm currently sending data (the value of s) to another script via the
html statement:

However, I need to add another variable, namely a javascript
variable, to the GET string.

How can I send both a php and a javascript variable together at the same time?

the question is when is the variable you want to append available to the javascript. as soon as you get the variable in the javascript the next thing you can do is append
it to the value of the href attribute of the <a> tag.

    <head>
        <script type="text/javascript">
            window.onload = function() {
                var someLinkHref = document.getElementById('someLink').href;
                someLinkHref += "&anotherVar=8";
                alert(someLinkHref);
            }
        </script>
    </head>
<a id="someLink" href=" <http://somesite.com?a=5>http://somesite.com?a=5";>
            click here
        </a>

if you want to use the onclick event handler as rob suggested, you could stash the variable in the Window global object, then reference it in the implementation of the onclick function (though i still have mixed feelings about that approach [the Window object part that is]).

-nathan

-nathan:

Your example worked very well to provide an alert showing exactly what I needed to be in the href string. However, it didn't work to actually alter the actual link href string -- even when I commented out the alert. IOW, it remained:

<http://somesite.com?a=5>http://somesite.com?a=5

instead of:

<http://somesite.com?a=5>http://somesite.com?a=5&anotherVar=8

I like the idea of keeping the code unobtrusive and working as it did -- I just need it to work as a link.

Any ideas?  This is so close.

Cheers,

tedd

--