Re: A two flavored post

On 10/5/07, tedd <tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 11:18 PM -0400 10/4/07, Nathan Nobbe wrote:
> >On 10/4/07, tedd <<mailto:tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >Hi gang:
> >
> >I asked this question on the javascript list, but for some reason
> >it's taking forever to post there. So, I figured that I would ask
> >here as well.
> >
> >I'm currently sending data (the value of s) to another script via the
> >html statement:

> >However, I need to add another variable, namely a javascript
> >variable, to the GET string.
> >
> >How can I send both a php and a javascript variable together at the same time?
> >

> >the question is when is the variable you want to append available to
> >the javascript.
> >as soon as you get the variable in the javascript the next thing you
> >can do is append
> >it to the value of the href attribute of the <a> tag.

> >     <head>
> >         <script type="text/javascript">
> >             window.onload = function() {
> >                 var someLinkHref = document.getElementById('someLink').href;
> >                 someLinkHref += "&anotherVar=8";
> >                 alert(someLinkHref);
> >             }
> >         </script>
> >     </head>
> >         <a id="someLink" href="
> ><http://somesite.com?a=5>http://somesite.com?a=5";>
> >             click here
> >         </a>
> >
> >if you want to use the onclick event handler as rob suggested, you
> >could stash the variable in the Window global object, then reference
> >it in the implementation of the onclick function (though i still
> >have mixed feelings about that approach [the Window object part that
> >is]).
> >
> >-nathan
>
> -nathan:
>
> Your example worked very well to provide an alert showing exactly
> what I needed to be in the href string. However, it didn't work to
> actually alter the actual link href string -- even when I commented
> out the alert. IOW, it remained:
>
> <http://somesite.com?a=5>http://somesite.com?a=5
>
> instead of:
>
> <http://somesite.com?a=5>http://somesite.com?a=5&anotherVar=8
>
> I like the idea of keeping the code unobtrusive and working as it did
> -- I just need it to work as a link.
>
> Any ideas?  This is so close.
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd
>

> --
> -------
> http://sperling.com  http://ancientstones.com  http://earthstones.com
>
> --

    Tedd, try this (it's also live and working at
http://www.crusar.org/test.php):

<?
$s = $_GET['s'];
?>
<script language="JavaScript">
function writeHREF(value,title) {
        var url = "http://www.crusar.org/test.php";;
        var currentTime = new Date();
        var month = currentTime.getMonth();
        var day = currentTime.getDate();
        var year = currentTime.getFullYear();
        var jsvalue = month + '/' + day + '/' + year;
        document.write('<a href="' + url + '?s=' + value + '&jsvalue='
+ jsvalue + '">' + title + '</a>');
}
</script>

This is where your JS link will appear, Tedd:
<script language="JavaScript">
        writeHREF('<?=$s;?>','Test Link');
</script>

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272

Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day.  Then you'll find out he was
allergic and is hospitalized.  See?  No good deed goes unpunished....