Re: Pirate PHP books online?

Hey,

<clip>
The same would happen if I did everything myself. Within days of
self-publishing a eBook, it would be on a pirate site. At least with a
publisher, legal copies do get sold, and I do get a return on the time
invested, even though it's not as much as I would like.
</clip>
Also depends on how popular your site is...
coz for example if your site is really popular... say 30k uniques a day,  then making an ebook would be great as even though it would get pirated (by the way, check out the digital copies of harry potter if you're into that...(i'm not) how many days has it been since the release?)
And as for not getting as much as you would like... thats just human nature, whatever you get wouldnt really be enough unless its some really crazy number.

<clip>
Unfortunately, an eBook is very easy for a pirate to rip off. The danger with piracy is that authors will be discouraged

 from writing, and in the end everyone will be worse off.
</clip> Discouraged...yes, stop writing...no.
Coz looking at history... we still have movies and music dont we?
In both "normal" and disc form.

Lets face it, however much time and effort goes into getting a book from the authors first copy to a proper book cant compare (in $$) to what it takes to get a movie from script to screen.

<clip crayon>

> Disagree again, if Adam uploads or not, there is a whole bunch of
 stuff
> out there that he cant hope to download in a lifetime.

It was never mentioned *when* Adam uploaded his file, it could've been

when the site first started out and uploads then were lacking.

</clip crayon>
Time is irrelevant, because unless the site is Adam's site, or he is in
some way connected to it... he can go to X number of sites and get more files
than he could possibly see in a lifetime.

<clip kelvin>

Imagine that you're stealing a software from best buy or just walking
out with tons of unpaid books from Barnes and noble. Piracy should be
considered the same thing. If someone can't afford expensive corporate
software I believe there are a lot of other similar open source
 software
that can do just as good and useful.
</clip kelvin>

The comparasion of stealing from a shop and taking digitally has been already done to death on this very thread so I'm not going to go there... start around july 20 in the archives if you're curious.
As to your second point of when someone cant afford the software they should just switch to a similar one... from what i gather from my friends, they do it for the following reasons:
1. For the thrill, they are getting away with it
2. They are defying and hence hitting back at one of the "big boys"...like M$,Ad0be etc
3. They are not making any comprimises...getting exactly what they want.

The question does arise of is it morally right...? but then again is it morally right for M$ / Ad0be to sell their software for USD 499 in the U.S and 499 pounds in the U.K?

Or for a CD to sell for $14.99 in the US and the same CD to sell for 14.99 quid in the UK?

Cheers!

------
- The faulty interface lies between the chair and the keyboard.
- Creativity is great, but plagiarism is faster!
- Smile, everyone loves a moron. :-)

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.