RE: Error on installing under Windows Vista leads to inability to uninstal

From: Stephan G <stephan-g@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
    php-5.2.3-win32-installer.msi

It has the following md5 sum, taken locally on my system:

    4d042f649d9c264477e1b421c64c6435
I can confirm the same md5 sum.

    "The installer has encountered an unexpected error
    installing this package.  This may indicate a problem with
    this package.  The error code is 2738."
A few hits for a search on "msi error 2738" give:
"Could not access VBScript run time for custom action"

I would appreciate help with any of the following (roughly in my priority order):

    1.  How can I uninstall this and remove it from my system?
Try a System Restore point.

    2.  What is error code 2738 and what does it mean?
"Could not access VBScript run time for custom action"

    3.  What steps might I take subsequently to install without
        incurring this error?
Maybe test that any VBScript can run before trying this installer. Maybe M$ is protecting you from running potentially malicious scripts. You didn't get a "PC Guy Agent: VBScript would like to run. Allow or Deny?" Perhaps the installer from the PHP site is bad and M$ is not the guilty party.