Re: Persistent Objects

On 7/18/07, Richard Lynch <ceo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, July 15, 2007 2:25 pm, Wesley Acheson wrote:
> 1. Does the answer below mean no global persistant objects?
> (Application scope) I guess that it does.

Pretty much, yes.

PHP is more Unix-like in quickly spitting out an answer, rather than
MS-like in having some monolithic "answer" object hanging around
forever.
No I don't necessarily think that this is an ms way of doing things.
The advantage though more trivial in this example that if anything is
expensive to create (read uses a lot or resources be that
time/database connections/memory) To use one object over and over
again saves the webserver some load.

I'll probably look at the op cache as this probably removes this worry
in this specific instance

The problem with shoving all forms into one big pile is that you
generally want to customize the validation and processing to such an
extent the the only actual common share code for the form is, errr:

echo "<FORM>";

:-)
This I just straight forward don't agree with.  The point is more
based on fields then anything else I just tend to wrap field objects
in a form object.

The point is not just for input type ="text" but also applies to
dropdown lists, option groups (through a different class) etc.

Doing it in this way makes a much better way to iterate over a
database record set for example.  ( like a list of countries) and add
them into an object rather than mixing output with code.  Believe me
I've seen it done and It turns nasty very quickly.

Another nifty trick is to encrypt your session data, and if it's less
than 4K, just make it be the value of a cookie.  This cookie value
will "travel" with the user even in a distributed server app.
You then only need to read/write memcached for "large" session data.
Some more info here:
http://hostedlabs.com/
Nice hint but I won't be doing this at least at this point.

PPS
Do give the PHP way a fair shot, and do some real-world testing before
drawing any conclusions wrt the Java way.

But if you're just going to "fight" PHP all the time and do it the
Java way, just go back to Java and be happy :-)
Who's fighting.  I like PHP.  I've used it more than real JAVA
although not so much as JSP which personally I hate. I'm one of the
"web developers" at work.  The point of asking these questions is not
to fight but to get a feel for what other people like and don't like
in an architecture.

Understand that understanding the limitations of any system and I'm
talking about within the rules of the system (i.e. no plugins and no
hacks) are key to using a system more efficiently.

Yeah JAVA is great for some things.  In fact if I was wanting to write
processes / crons and many other things then It would be a language of
choice.  However this is my personal stuff its not work related and I
think that PHP is a far more appropiate language for the web for
reasons I'm sure you'll all understand.

So yes I like to have ways of working (more than code itself)
validated by people who actually use the language.

Sorry If I've explained this badly,  Just trying to show why I asked
these questions so publically.  Its not that I couldn't do it simpler
or couldn't do it.

Regards,
Wesley Acheson