Re: Re: Pirate PHP books online?

On Tue, July 17, 2007 9:26 am, Larry Garfield wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 July 2007, tedd wrote:
>> At 7:57 PM -0500 7/16/07, Larry Garfield wrote:
>> >I am not going to defend copyright infringement, but theft is
>> depriving
>> >someone of something they used to have and no longer have.
>>
>> Time.
>>
>> An author spends his time writing a book, he should be paid for it.
>>
>> Time.
>>
>> You spend time coding, and you should be paid for it.
>
> Once I have written code or words, the time I have spent on that is
> gone.  I
> will never get that time back, regardless of whether or not I get paid
> for it
> after the fact.

Last time I checked, most day jobs have a significant lag between time
spent and pay check.

Perhaps your day job should stop paying you, because after you've
spent that time, you'll never get it back?

I choose to spend my time developing an intellectual product because
current laws provide me some reassurance of ROI, just as you choose to
work for your employer because current laws provide you some assurance
of a paycheck showing up.

If you think the laws are wrong, get the laws changed.

But stealling (or whatever you want to call it in semantic name games)
is ILLEGAL, and a violation of the author's reasonable expectations,
and, imho, that alone makes it "wrong" until you can get the law
changed.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?