Re: Re: Pirate PHP books online?

On Tuesday 17 July 2007, tedd wrote:
> At 7:57 PM -0500 7/16/07, Larry Garfield wrote:
> >I am not going to defend copyright infringement, but theft is depriving
> >someone of something they used to have and no longer have.
>
> Time.
>
> An author spends his time writing a book, he should be paid for it.
>
> Time.
>
> You spend time coding, and you should be paid for it.

Once I have written code or words, the time I have spent on that is gone.  I
will never get that time back, regardless of whether or not I get paid for it
after the fact.  Copyright is a system intended to increase the likelihood
that I will make a financial return on that investment of time, but it is not
a guarantee nor is it a time machine.

*There is no right to profit.*  There is only the artificial and
government-created monopoly on duplication, intended to allow authors and
creators to *try and profit* from their work.

> Anyone who takes your work product without compensating you for your
> TIME is stealing, period!

No, they are committing copyright infringement.  If they stoke the CD I had
the manuscript on, then they would be stealing; they'd be stealing a CD.
Please, it only cheapens the work to pretend it's something it's not.

> And who is to say how much it is worth and how much you should be
> paid? Should you make millions like the author of Harry Potter or
> nothing like a significant percentage of authors do? You want to pay
> everyone minimum wage, or is there a scale somewhere that would
> suffice, I think not.

Do not put words in my mouth.  I never said anything about how much a person
should be paid for a copyrighted work.  I said, and the only thing I've said,
is that copyright is not innate but a completely artificial monopoly, and
infringing on that completely artificial monopoly is copyright infringement,
which is not theft.

> One of the reason why authors publish (books, software, music,
> whatever) is that they may make a considerable amount of money from
> their efforts -- AND -- what wrong with that? That helps drive
> creativity and innovation and raises the quality of life for
> everyone. You want to defend taking that away?

Once again, please DO NOT put words in my mouth.  I said outright that I am
not supporting copyright infringement.  I also do not support misrepresenting
the law, the facts, or the Constitution.

> Larry, I like your post and consider what you have to say seriously,
> but you're slant on this is just plain wrong.

I think you are completely misreading what that slant is, based on what you're
claiming I said when I did not.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx		ICQ: 6817012