Re: Re: Pirate PHP books online?

On Mon, July 16, 2007 7:15 am, tedd wrote:
> I have to agree with Col on this one. Books are not shareware,
> freeware or open source. They are written for profit and anyone
> wanting to pirate the books are stealing, plain and simple. And if
> anyone thinks people will buy the book if it's useful to them, then
> that's just silly thinking. While some people may, most won't.
>
> Dotan, I would report the offending link to the publishers, that's
> what the authors would do.

While I would prefer that authors/publishers provide a cheap/free
PDF/eBook version of their book, it is their right, after all their
hard work, to choose in what formats to sell/give it.

I do not think it is "right" for anybody to violate that decision of
theirs, even if you think current laws are "wrong"

Get the laws changed, if that is your intent.

Stealing for some high moral principle only encourages those less
principled to also steal.

It's not like you're fighting for somebody's life or ending
segregation here, after all.

PS
I also work in the music industry, where this is a much bigger problem
(I think) than tech books 99% of the world could only use a doorstop
in the first place. :-)

So I've given this more than a little bit of thought...

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?