Re: triming utf8 (?) a string

Rick Pasotto wrote:
On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 07:45:10AM -0700, Jim Lucas wrote:
Rick Pasotto wrote:
On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 06:30:54PM -0700, Jim Lucas wrote:
Rick Pasotto wrote:
I'm using the PEAR Crypt_Blowfish module. When I decrypt the encrypted
string the result is the original plus some '\ufffd' bytes. How can I
get rid of those extra bytes? I've tried both trim($x,'\ufffd') and
trim($x,utf8_decode('\ufffd')).

trim() is meant to remove chars from the beginning and ending of a string.

http://us2.php.net/str_replace is meant to remove a set of chars from a string. Anywhere within the string.
But it *is* a single char that I'm wanting to remove (multiple times).
Perhaps you are confusing a char with a byte?
Nope, not confused, but I ASSUMED that maybe the chars were not at the beginning or ending of the string, but somewhere in the middle. ( you didn't say where the chars were )

Yes, I did. "the original *plus* some '\ufffd' bytes" clearly means that
they were added at the end.

Well, IMHO, that does not "clearly mean" at the end.

*plus* does not imply, to me at least, that whatever the plus is, is appended to the end.

And since you were using trim(), that you were using the wrong function. Which only works on the beginning and ending of a string.

I wanted to remove the characters that were added at the *end* of the
string.

obviously...?

--
Jim Lucas

   "Some men are born to greatness, some achieve greatness,
       and some have greatness thrust upon them."

Twelfth Night, Act II, Scene V
    by William Shakespeare