Re: triming utf8 (?) a string

On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 06:30:54PM -0700, Jim Lucas wrote:
> Rick Pasotto wrote:
> >I'm using the PEAR Crypt_Blowfish module. When I decrypt the encrypted
> >string the result is the original plus some '\ufffd' bytes. How can I
> >get rid of those extra bytes? I've tried both trim($x,'\ufffd') and
> >trim($x,utf8_decode('\ufffd')).
> >
> trim() is meant to remove chars from the beginning and ending of a string.
>
> http://us2.php.net/str_replace is meant to remove a set of chars from a
> string. Anywhere within the string.

But it *is* a single char that I'm wanting to remove (multiple times).
Perhaps you are confusing a char with a byte?

Anyway, the problem is solved from the other end. So long as the
original string has a length that is a multiple of 8 the encoded/decoded
result has no extra chars. Padding the initial string with spaces makes
it easy to then trim() the output.

--
"The care of every man's soul belongs to himself.  But what if he
 neglect the care of it?  Well what if he neglect the care of his health