Re: triming utf8 (?) a string

Rick Pasotto wrote:
On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 06:30:54PM -0700, Jim Lucas wrote:
Rick Pasotto wrote:
I'm using the PEAR Crypt_Blowfish module. When I decrypt the encrypted
string the result is the original plus some '\ufffd' bytes. How can I
get rid of those extra bytes? I've tried both trim($x,'\ufffd') and
trim($x,utf8_decode('\ufffd')).

trim() is meant to remove chars from the beginning and ending of a string.

http://us2.php.net/str_replace is meant to remove a set of chars from a string. Anywhere within the string.

But it *is* a single char that I'm wanting to remove (multiple times).
Perhaps you are confusing a char with a byte?

Nope, not confused, but I ASSUMED that maybe the chars were not at the beginning or ending of the string, but somewhere in the middle. ( you didn't say where the chars were )

And since you were using trim(), that you were using the wrong function. Which only works on the beginning and ending of a string.

Anyway, the problem is solved from the other end. So long as the
original string has a length that is a multiple of 8 the encoded/decoded
result has no extra chars. Padding the initial string with spaces makes
it easy to then trim() the output.

--
Jim Lucas

   "Some men are born to greatness, some achieve greatness,
       and some have greatness thrust upon them."

Twelfth Night, Act II, Scene V
    by William Shakespeare