About Incorporating MySQL and XML/XSLT/PHP

I'm using XSLT to make a website template and XML to describe the data on my
website. Do I parse the data from MySQL to XML in order to apply styles and
display them as XHTML with XSLT?

I would have to use PHP to parse XML, however I was unclear on how to pass
MySQL data to XML in order for it do be displayed through XSLT template.
Do you know a good reference (website, book, article) for the most correct
way to display MySQL data with XML/XSLT/PHP?