Re: Going from simple to super CAPTCHA

On 6/11/07, Tijnema <tijnema@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/11/07, Daniel Brown <parasane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 6/11/07, Tijnema <tijnema@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Not as easy as Tijnema thinks... all the icons are in a single image so
> > > first he needs to find the icon boundaries to extract them to perform
> > > colour analysis. And that can be more or less hard depending on how the
> > > icons are merged. For instance using PNG images with alpha transparency
> > > so that an overlay and merge looks right would make edge detection of
> > > the icon difficult ths making colour analysis difficult.
> >
> > Sure, but what if I convert the image first to JPEG or GIF? GIF would
> > be the easiest option I think, because if I convert both then I could
> > easily count the color of each pixel and you can call the job done. :)
> >
> > > Also, the
> > > colour analysis only works in the case where you're presented with an
> > > image and asked to pick the same image form the set. It doesn't work in
> > > the semantic example where you are asked "which of the following doesn't
> > > belong?" :)
> >
> > Of course, it was just an easy example, as there could be images
> > presented with exactly the same color. Different CAPTCHA program needs
> > different kind of hack...
> >
> > Tijnema
> >

>    Not to mention the fact that, by the time your processor was able
> to count the pixels and compare color similarities to be able to even
> get close enough to an educated guess (not counting the
> randomly-generated filter color pixels, which I think you're
> forgetting), my session would've expired and you'd have to start all
> over on a new series of images.

Do you realize what a quite good machine(Let's say 2.2 Ghz Dual Core)
can do in a few seconds? IIRC, a 2.2Ghz Dual Core machine has 88
Gigaflops, which means it can do 88000000000 commands in 1 second*.
That's enough to analyze the full image and compare the colors with
each other.

>    Which actually brings up an excellent point, if I may say so
> myself --- it's not so much of what kind of obfuscation is used in the
> CAPTCHA image, as any good Turing robot or OCR software could detect
> the sequence almost as well as a human (if not better in some
> cases).... but it can take a while to do so.  Why not shorten the
> session timeout for the page on which it's displayed?
>
>    Have two separate areas --- area one is for registration, data
> submission, or whatever you're trying to de-automate; area two is your
> CAPTCHA area.  Upon submitting the data, and to verify the
> authenticity as a human intending to submit said data, a page is
> displayed with four slightly skewed characters on a random background
> with a random filter.  The user has 15 seconds to type in the
> characters he or she sees.  The only characters which exist are
> UPPER-CASE letters ABCDEF.  The user can then easily distinguish which
> letter is which, but a robot would only have those fifteen seconds to
> do the same.  This means a combination of 6^4, which is 1,296
> potential combinations to try to match in 15 seconds or less.
>
>    Not bank-level security, by any means, but something to expand on,
> considering I don't think any existing CAPTCHA technology focuses on
> time limitations, but rather only on making it more annoying for the
> average user to submit form data.
>

> --
> Daniel P. Brown

Same here, computers are way too fast for these things, and what about
somebody at a dialup connection? it might take 2 seconds to load the
page, 5 seconds for the CAPTCHA image, 7 seconds to type the word, and
3 seconds to submit the page. You would end up in 17 seconds...
Note that typing it in 7 seconds is quite fast, especiall when you
look at people with some kind of handicap...

Tijnema

* At peak performance, and of course there's OS running etc.

   Yes, but I don't think you understand that it was just an idea in
the infantile stages.  I'm going to try to knock out a
proof-of-concept later this week if I can to bring some of it
together.

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272