Re: second/custom PEAR/PECL installation. possible? how?

Daniel Brown wrote:
> On 6/6/07, Austin C <galacticneo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Why do you have 2 apaches on the same computer? I didnt even know you
>> could
>> do that without causing problems.

I need to run php4 and php5 sites on the same box and
I can't upgrade php4 to php5 for 2 reasons ...

1. upgrading anything in the plesk installation (which included php4 as std way back when)
is a nightmare waiting to happen (and I can't afford to have the server down due to an upgrade
snafu).
2. some of the many of php4 sites will break under php5 - they are that old/crufty -
and I don't have the time to audit and fix all the code in question (not until there
are an extra 3 months in a year :-P).

apache2+php4 runs on the public IP address(es) on port 80
apache2+php5 runs on 127.0.0.1 on port 81

I use ProxyPass directives in apache2+php4 to make apache2+php5
available to the public ... this means that domain management can still be
done from within the plesk control panel AND (more importantly) all the stats
generate crap in plesk works as is for all domains (because requests for
sites that are actually run on apache+php5 are funnelled through apache2+php4.

>    I don't know the exact reason the OP has multiple installations of
> Apache/PHP running, but some reasons may be to have a separate control
> panel, test environment, alternate (redundant) connection swapping, et
> cetera.

nothing as fancy as all that I'm afraid.