Re: second/custom PEAR/PECL installation. possible? how?

On 6/6/07, Jochem Maas <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Daniel Brown wrote:
> On 6/6/07, Jochem Maas <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have a [gentoo] server with 2 apache installations ...
>>
>> the std distro apache runs with php4 which includes an installation
>> of PEAR and PECL.
>>
>> the second apache is compiled by hand and runs with php5 (also compiled
>> by hand) - obviously both of these are installed somewhere other than
>> the default. the [custom] php5 installation does not include PEAR/PECL
>> (when I built/installed it I skipped that because I was worried I'd
>> get a conflict
>> with the existing PEAR/PECL install and break something).
>>
>> I would like to add the APC extension to the php5 setup, normally this is
>> as involved as doing the following:
>>
>>         > pecl install apc
>>
>> only in this case that would install APC in the php4 setup.
>> the question is how do I go about getting a second/custom PEAR/PECL
>> setup running
>> which I can use with/for the php5 setup. is this even possible? or
>> am I stuck with a manual download, compile and install of APC for the
>> php5 setup as described here for instance:
>> http://carroll.org.uk/archives/2006/02/02/alternative-php-cache-apc-on-debian)?
>>

>> tia,
>> Jochem
>>
>> PS  - STWF is giving me no joy, everything I find assumes the
>> pecl/pear commands
>> are setup and running.
>>
>> PPS - sorry for the overuse of the word 'setup' :-P
>>
>> --
>>

>    Is there any particular reason you couldn't recompile PHP5 with
> the PEAR/PECL packages outside of the path?  A prime example of
> running two separate Apache servers with separate PHP installations is
> cPanel --- if you're familiar with the service, you'll probably
> already know that it uses it's own paths (/var/cpanel,
> /usr/local/cpanel/bin), not those common on the system (/bin, /sbin,
> etc.).

I don't want to recompile because it's in production, and secondly I
don't really know what's going on with the compile/installation when it
comes to pear/pecl.

I can't risk screwing anything up and time constraints don't allow me
to build a test env that matches what I have in production right now ...

it's a plesk box in this case which (imho) makes things a tad more complicated ...
I'm not too much of a fan of plesk :-/

so I'm still hoping there is a way to install a second pear/pecl setup (with that
go-pear thingy that I don't quite understand) and have it 'linked' to a specific
[custom] php installation? ... if not I'll go read up more on pear/pecl setups in general
and in the mean time do a manual build of the APC extension (something I can comfortably do,
but is not great from a maintainance POV)

>    I've had different test boxes set up with numerous
> compartmentalized installations --- one of my kitchen machines had
> more than a dozen, just to try to screw it up one day because I was
> bored (yes, I have systems all throughout my house and my truck).

your truck ?? :-)

>    As long as the PEAR/PECL API version matches the target PHP
> installation API version, you should have no problem.

this is not clear to me - I'm have a horrible 'lacking the required expertise'
feeling :-P

thanks for your input so far.

   Yeah, my truck, too.  I do computer forensics primarily, so I'm on
the road all the time.  I have a laptop in the front between the
driver and passenger seats with a system in the back hardwired through
an inverter, which is packed with an Everio video camera, RF monitors,
et cetera.

   Manually doing the APC module may not be ideal, but if it's an
immediate requirement, you could do it like that for now just to get
it up and going, then work on creating your test environment so that
you'll be ready to go when the need to update or modify the
installation arises.

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272