Re: second/custom PEAR/PECL installation. possible? how?

On 6/6/07, Austin C <galacticneo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Why do you have 2 apaches on the same computer? I didnt even know you could
do that without causing problems.

On 6/6/07, Daniel Brown <parasane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 6/6/07, Jochem Maas <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have a [gentoo] server with 2 apache installations ...
> >
> > the std distro apache runs with php4 which includes an installation
> > of PEAR and PECL.
> >
> > the second apache is compiled by hand and runs with php5 (also compiled
> > by hand) - obviously both of these are installed somewhere other than
> > the default. the [custom] php5 installation does not include PEAR/PECL
> > (when I built/installed it I skipped that because I was worried I'd get
a conflict
> > with the existing PEAR/PECL install and break something).
> >
> > I would like to add the APC extension to the php5 setup, normally this
is
> > as involved as doing the following:
> >
> >         > pecl install apc
> >
> > only in this case that would install APC in the php4 setup.
> > the question is how do I go about getting a second/custom PEAR/PECL
setup running
> > which I can use with/for the php5 setup. is this even possible? or
> > am I stuck with a manual download, compile and install of APC for the
> > php5 setup as described here for instance:

http://carroll.org.uk/archives/2006/02/02/alternative-php-cache-apc-on-debian
)?

> > tia,
> > Jochem
> >
> > PS  - STWF is giving me no joy, everything I find assumes the pecl/pear
commands
> > are setup and running.
> >
> > PPS - sorry for the overuse of the word 'setup' :-P
> >
> > --
> >

>    Is there any particular reason you couldn't recompile PHP5 with
> the PEAR/PECL packages outside of the path?  A prime example of
> running two separate Apache servers with separate PHP installations is
> cPanel --- if you're familiar with the service, you'll probably
> already know that it uses it's own paths (/var/cpanel,
> /usr/local/cpanel/bin), not those common on the system (/bin, /sbin,
> etc.).
>
>    I've had different test boxes set up with numerous
> compartmentalized installations --- one of my kitchen machines had
> more than a dozen, just to try to screw it up one day because I was
> bored (yes, I have systems all throughout my house and my truck).
>
>    As long as the PEAR/PECL API version matches the target PHP
> installation API version, you should have no problem.
>
> --
> Daniel P. Brown
> [office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272
> [mobile] (570-) 766-8107
>
> --

Thanks, the webmaster of Galacticneo

   I don't know the exact reason the OP has multiple installations of
Apache/PHP running, but some reasons may be to have a separate control
panel, test environment, alternate (redundant) connection swapping, et
cetera.  In any case, as long as it's configured and compiled
properly, you can have a virtually unlimited number of separate
servers running on one machine, even all sharing the same interface
and data sources.

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272